Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Class Dismissed

Before we found out Lily was going to be delivered early, we had been taking childbirth classes at the hospital.  We were going two hours a night on Wednesdays for seven weeks.    Most of the early classes focused on signs of labor, what to do when you feel contractions, what to do when your water breaks, how to relax when having contractions, and what to expect when we go to the hospital to deliver.  The usual childbirth drivel.  When we found out about the IUGR and the certainty of a C-section, we stopped attending.  Our last class would have been tonight.  Lily is 25 days old today and when I think about those classes it seems like years ago that we sat there and practiced breathing.  In some ways I'm thankful to have Lily here early, and feel fortunate to be able to watch her grow, care for her, and bond with her.  In other ways it's been a difficult journey that I wouldn't wish for anyone, but one that has given us otherwise unknown joys to see how well she has met every challenge she's faced.   I hope all our former classmates have great birthing experiences, and bring home beautiful, healthy babies.  But sitting here with Lily the past three and a half weeks and seeing the doctors and nurses gush over her progress each day is something I would never trade.   Some things you just can't teach.

Below are some pictures I took yesterday while Lily was sleeping with Amanda.  

Don't Forget To Breathe.







3 comments:

Sue Jacquette said...

Simply beautiful.

Anonymous said...

You 3 keep me perpetually in tears!! Absolutely beautiful. xo

erin said...

seriously now!! I just can't get enough, just can't get enough...YAZ thru my head, tears in my eyes, shit for brains...hmmm you guys make me noodley. I LOVE YOU...erin